Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

What happened to manners?

To be perfectly honest, I'm a manners freak.  I am.

I also realize that if I go around expecting people to be as polite as I would like them to be I will live a very disappointed existence.  But, 'please' and 'thank you'?  Well, that should just be a given.  It's the basic of all manners. 

I've been emphasizing please and thank you when I am out with my daughter since it's clear her language and comprehension of language is getting more sophisticated.  So, last week I was visiting my parents and it occurred to me that I've developed this overcompensating manners thing because my Dad often times lacks them.

I was sitting feeding my daughter in her highchair when my Dad says to my Mom, "get me some iced tea."  I snapped my head around like Linda Blair in the exorcist and said "PLEASE" (For clarification, I should say that this isn't the first time this has happened, it's a common occurrence hence my reaction).   He looked at me like I was nuts and said that he was going to say 'thank you.'  To which I retorted, 'that doesn't make up for not saying, please.  Those are basic manners'.  To which he said, 'let's not overdo it.'  WHAT?!?!  Yes, this actually happened.  Somehow, I survived my childhood with some manners and an ability to write thank you notes.  Thanks, Mom.

No comments: