Search This Blog

Monday, March 21, 2011

Mama Mondays

I was out with a friend of mine whom I have know since college.  It's important, I think, to have people who knew you before you were a wife/partner and a mother, because those are the people to go to when you feel that you have lost every ounce that made you, YOU!

We were talking about lots of stuff that changed after marriage and children, and I was surprised, but then not so surprised, when she mentioned a lot of the same issues I've been struggling with, like feeling like she had lost herself and no longer did the things that made her happy.  I think we all struggle with this and the thing that will save us all from falling into depths of despair and depression is committing ourselves to taking the time we need to nurture ourselves.  Whether that means forming a book club, a wine tasting club, a running club, or engaging in some activity that you love yourself, you must do it.  No one else is responsible for your own happiness, but you.

Sit down and make a list of the things that make you happy.  Once it's completed pick  something on the list that you can do at least once per week and commit to staying with it.  No excuses!  I would love to hear what you've chosen.

No comments: